Kirigami Square Window Decoration
This square window decoration requires only a sheet of paper and a pair of scissors. Be sure to do the rectangular window decoration
before doing this one.
This decoration can be glued in front of card stock to make a one-of-a-kind greeting cad. Alternatively, the decoration can be taped to a window; the sun shines through the layers of paper to make a great design. This project can also be done with a triangular
piece of paper.
Kirigami Square Window Decoration Instructions
- Start with a square sheet of paper. Fold in half (left to right) to form a rectangle.
- Fold in half again (bottom to top) to form a square.
- Fold in half again (bottom-right to top-left) to form a triangle.
- Check to see that the folded paper is oriented properly: the folded edge should be on the right side. Cut the paper repeatedly: cut from right to left, cut as close as you can to the edge of the paper but do not cut the strips off completely.
- Carefully unfold the paper. You will see multiple cuts that look like squares within squares.
- Start by folding the inner most strips in towards the center of the paper.
- Leave the next strips of paper as it is. Fold the third set of strips inwards.
- Repeat folding every other strip towards the middle until you have reached the outer most rim of the paper.
Shown is the square window decoration on black backing (left) and stuck on a backing which allows sun to shine through.
Note that parts of the decoration are darker than others because of the layers of paper that the light shines through.
Where do you want to go?