Iris Folding: Designing Templates
The first step in iris folding is to choose a template. We have generated some pre-made templates for you to use. Simply copy & paste the large, medium, or small images onto a text file and print it out for use.
You can also design your own templates for iris folding. You may choose any shape you want, or perhaps you want a template of specific dimensions. We use a square as an example.
- Draw the shape you desire in the size that you want. Using a ruler, make a dot "X" distance from the corner. Do this for all corners. "X" can be half and inch; a quarter of an inch; or any distance you want.
If you choose a short distance (1/8 of an inch), then you will need many narrow strips of paper. If you choose a long distance (1 inch), you will need fewer strips, but each strip will be wider.
- Connect the dots. This will cause you to draw the same shape, but smaller, inside the original shape.
- Make another dot the same distance from the corner of the smaller, inner shape.
- Connect the dots again to make a third shape. Each new shape gets progressively smaller and smaller.
- Continue drawing smaller and smaller shapes inside the larger shapes until there is no more room left or until you have enough.