Origami Butterfly Hair Pin
This Origami Butterfly Hair Pin is easy to make and requires minimal supplies:
- one hair pin,
- glue, and
- a clear, waterproof sealant.
Origami Butterfly Hair Pin Instructions
- Cut a piece of paper between 1" to 2" square. Fold it into an origami butterfly according to instructions. Instructions for a variety of different origami butterflies can be found here.
- To keep the butterfly in a freshly-folded condition, apply glue to all layers (read about glues here).
Using a toothpick, apply glue between the layers that make up the wings. Next apply glue to all layers visible on the underside of the butterfly. Press the butterfly under a heavy weight and wait for the glue to dry before proceeding.
Lastly, apply a dab of glue in the middle of the butterfly which forms the body. Pinch the layers together and allow to dry before proceeding.
- Protect the butterfly with a thin coating. This can be an aerosol spray of varnish, or shellac. Or, you can brush on a layer of clear nail polish. Read about sealants here. Allow to dry.
- Glue the butterfly onto a hair pin. Position the butterfly parallel to the hair pin to maximize contact. A glue gun works well but be sure that the glue does not accidentally glue the two arms of the hair pin together. Your origami butterfly hair pin is done!