- The first thing you need to do is to choose a template. In this example, a triangle is used.
- Prepare a Cut-Out Border by cutting a shape out of a piece of paper. In this example, a heart shape is cut out of a piece of white paper. CircleOfCrafters.com has a nice selection of free Cut-Out borders.
- Use removable tape and tape the template on top of your work table. Next, tape the Cut-Out Border on top of the template.
- Cut strips of paper of varying lengths and widths. Make sure that the strips will cover the segments in the template you chose. The strips can be of the same color or of multiple colors (3 colors for triangle, 4 colors for square, or 5 colors for pentagon).
Glue the strips of paper onto the Cut-Out border. Start from the outer edge of the template and work inwards. Avoid gluing the strips onto the template: keep the glue on the Cut-Out border.
- Continue to glue strips of paper onto the Border along the lines defined by the template.
- When done, carefully remove the Cut-Out Border away from the template. Turn over and surprise yourself with your iris fold!
Books about Iris Folding
- Iris Folding: Techniques for Papercrafters by Eileen Goddard
- Iris Folding by M Gaasenbeek and T Beauveser
- Elegant Iris Folding by M Gaasenbeek and T Beauveser
- Iris Folding for Christmas by M Gaasenbeek and T Beauveser
- Iris Folding: Festive Iris Folding by M Gaasenbeek and T Beauveser
- see all iris folding books here
- visit us on facebook