Hanging Kirigami Decoration
This hanging kirigami decoration is not difficult to make, but before doing this one, you should already know how to do the easy kirigami decoration.
- Start with a square sheet of paper. Fold in half to form a triangle.
- Fold in half again to form a smaller triangle.
- Fold in half once more...
- ...to form an even smaller triangle.
- Rotate the paper so that the raw edges of the paper points down as shown.
- Enlarged view: use scissors to cut the paper as shown. First cut from right to left, then cut from left to right. Continue in this alternating manner until you reach the tip of the triangle. Try to cut to the edges but be careful to not cut the paper completely across so that it falls apart.
- Carefully unfold the cut paper until you have a flimsy square.
- Optional: locate the center of the paper, fold back the corners of the smallest cut square. These will be finger holes which you can use to grasp the paper.
- Grasp the central finger holes and lift the paper. Spread the outer layers downwards. This produces a springy, hanging decoration.
- make two hanging kirigami decorations as shown. Tape or staple the outermost edges together. You can loop a piece of string on one end to produce a fine hanging decoration. You can use string, tape, or staples to connect many of these together forming elaborate streamer-like decorations.
Where do you want to go?