This colorful flower barrette is made with fringed quilling flowers. If you do not know how to quill, then you should read:
- intro to quilling
- basic quilling techniques
- make a fringed flower
To make this barrette, you will need:
- 3 fringed flowers
- one 2¼" barrette (buy here)
- a piece of flexible plastic
- green paper, and
Flower Barrette Instructions
- Make 3 fringed flowers according to instructions. The petals (purple, pink, red) were made with strips of paper ⅜" wide and 8" long. The centers (yellow paper) were ¼" wide and 2.5" long.
Photos shows quilling flowers being made:
- purple is being rolled onto quilling tool;
- red is completely rolled;
- pink has had petals flared open.
- Cut a piece of flexible plastic so that it is slightly larger than the 2½" barrette. Round the corners to avoid sharp edges. Wrap and glue green paper around the plastic.
- When dry, glue the wrapped plastic onto the barrette. A glue gun works well and relatively quickly. If the plastic is thick or inflexible, you may need to clamp the two components together while the glue sets.
- Glue on the 3 fringed flowers and you're done! Barrette is approximately 2½" wide.
These barrettes are perfect for flower girls at weddings: color coordinate with the wedding colors.
A nice variation is to glue on a pearl in the center of each flower.
Red, white, and blue flowers make a patriotic barrette.